Film yourself in front of a green screen and add yourself as a holographic presenter in an AR and VR Space.
Step 1. What do you need:
- Your smartphone
- A Green Screen (a cloth or a background)
- A tripod for your smartphone
- A microphone
- Optional: additional lighting
Step 2: Set up your green screen studio
Hang the green cloth somewhere in your house, so that you can stand in front of it with your entire body. Make sure there is also a piece of green cloth on the floor. And be careful with too many wrinkles in the cloth, because this can influence the quality of the end result. Also pay attention to shades, because that gives different shades of green.
Hanging can be done in several ways. Think of:
- Hang over a door
- Stick to a wall with ducktape
- To be held by two people
- Hanging over a broomstick
- Other options (be creative)
Positioning your smartphone
Place your phone on a tripod or on a table at a height of about 1 meter and 35 centimeters (this is the height your viewers usually look at with their mobile phone). And tilt your phone slightly forward (the way your viewers hold their smartphone in their hand when they watch your presentation). You could also use a stack of books, a bag of rice, etc. Position the camera so that you are fully in view in front of the green cloth (from head to toe). Make sure you use the normal camera of your mobile phone (not the selfie mode).
Also, pay attention to this:
- Stand at least 1 meter from the rear wall. Otherwise, you have so much shade and you want to prevent that!
- If your feet disappear out of the picture, that's a shame, but if your head is not in the picture, that is absolutely not the way to go!
Sound with a microphone
We recommend using an extra microphone. You can film with the microphone on your mobile, but that will result in a hollow sound. You can buy a so-called lavalier microphone (a microphone with a long 6-meter cord) that you can plug into your smartphone. You hide the cable under your clothes and you attach the microphone somewhere on your clothes on your chest.
Step 3: Filming
Record your movie over the phone. For Fectar Studio you need a .mp4 or a .mov format video. Make sure that hand movements do not go outside the green cloth, use the width of the green cloth. Also important:
- Make sure you don't wear green clothes yourself, these will also be removed later in the holopresenter tool in Fectar Studio.
- We recommend shooting 4 or 5 short movies of 60 seconds instead of 1 long movie of 5 minutes. Long videos are not very comfortable for viewers in Augmented Reality.
You can upload any file in the preferred format of MP4 or MOV. Fectar Studio converts the file automatically to MP4 with H.264 codec, youtube HD and 1080p filming at 30 frames per second. Note: uploading 4K movies can take a long time to upload and to process. That's why we recommend max 40 MB of video files for the Holopresenter. That will take about 2 minutes.
Crop the video if necessary
The edges of your green cloth can be visible in your video. Crop the video on your smartphone so that only you and the green cloth can be seen. You probably filmed more than just you and the green screen on the video. For example, think of a piece of wall, part of a door, or something else. Crop the video so that anything filmed outside the green screen is trimmed off. With an iPhone, this is very easy with the standard 'edit' function and the so-called cropping function.
Checklist and tips:
- Prepare a script or write down keywords.
- Pay attention to the color of your clothes
- Make sure you are in front of the green background (or crop it later)
- Height of your tripod: 135 centimeters
- At least 1 meter away from the green canvas (note too much shade)
- Check regularly during filming if everything is going well (check image and sound between filming!)
- Record short movies of up to 2 minutes (10 x 2 is better than 1 x 20).
- Keep a list of your recordings. That saves a lot of searching for many recordings.
- Have fun and stay relaxed while recording for best results